Wednesday, August 22, 2007

New Review & Mosquitoes

My writer friend Rachel Olivier was good enough to put up a review of my anthology Too Much Dark Matter, Too Little Gray on her blog. You can find it here

As for mosquitoes, have you ever sat and watched a mosquito work? Most people, as soon as they start to hear that tinny whine in their ears, bat them away with a desperate flailing hand. But there's something oddly Zen about watching a mosquito hover around flesh like a tiny helicopter, looking to make a solid landing, then sticking its proboscis beneath the skin as its abdomen slowly reddens. Then, with a soft upward jerk of its head, it removes its proboscis and skirts away.

Of course, I'm watching this mosquito on someone else. They land on me and they're dead ;-)

I've been hiking, so maybe that'll explain this post.

1 comment:

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Hee! And this is why you write what you do! I remember once sitting on my porch after gardening and watching a fly. Normally I'd swat it away, but I was tired and it had landed on the railing and not on any food. I can verify flies really do shit when they land. ;-)